Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Fun times with Anya!





David has an aunt named Nancy, sometimes we lovingly refer to her as Aunt Anya, a name David gave to her when he was a wee lad. She is such an amazing aunt. The moment I met her, we clicked. She has always been so kind to me, and treats my children with such love and care. I love her also for the way she loved my husband when he was growing up. We love to hang out with Aunt Nancy, so we decided in January that once a month we are going to get together and have an adventure! We try to plan something really fun that the kids and adults will enjoy. In January we decided to visit Griffith Park for Parker to ride the ponies, and then go see Travel Town. We has such a wonderful time, I can't wait for our next adventure. Thanks Nancy for being so cool!





So, like I said we went to the Pony Rides at Griffith Park. I had never been there before, but David went many times as a child and had some great memories. I didn't really know what to expect. We got there right away got in line for Parker to ride. David handed Parker over to the guy-who-puts-kids-on-ponies (official job title) and he got on and just rode away. I was so shocked. It completely caught me off-guard. I don't know why, but tears came to my eyes immediately. Granted, they are extremely tame horses, and don't go much faster than a snail's pace, and even then, it's only in a very controlled circle, but still... he is my little boy, and he just rode away on a horse!





Parker loved it so much! He went around the circle twice shouting "ye-haw" the entire way, and I snapped photos and video the whole time. Then we went over to the train ride, which we all had a chance to ride, and I loved it as much as Parker. As soon as we got off the train Parker wanted to ride the horses again. So off we went. This time though there was another boy ride. He was older than Parker, maybe 10ish, and he rode a bigger horse, one that went faster. Once Parker realized there was the option of going faster he could not understand why he could get his pony to go! He kept heel-kicking him, and saying, "giddy up!" but the well trained horse would not go. It was so funny to see this, I don't even know where Parker learned how to do all this!





Next we went to Chuck E. Cheese's. My favorite place to go. And when I say it's my favorite place to go I mean that in the total opposite sense. I never liked it, I think it smells like pee and dirty feet, and I think there must be so many germs festering in the tubes. But this day was different. The main difference, unfortunately, I think was because it isn't in the Antelope Valley. It was very clean, and seemed much more controlled, and didn't stink at all. Nancy ordered a pizza that I actually enjoyed and she even gave us each tokens to play with. I was so excited! I will tear up some skee ball! After playing as much as we could stand we cashed in our gazillion tickets and traded them for a sucker and we were on our way.





The day was a blast, everyone was exhausted and crashed in the car. Addison had a great time too, although she has yet to talk about it. Parker loved, loved, loved it and asks me at least once a week if he can go ride the horses. Maybe one day a grandma or an aunt will buy him one...(hint, hint)







3 comments:

  1. Great pictures!

    ha ha...cute story...Giddy Up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chuck E Cheese's so smell like pee and dirty feet!!!!!! AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! SO glad you found a nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Deb! I somehow knew the minute I met you that we'd be fast friends! That day at Griffith Park was one of the best days I've ever spent! I couldn't believe how Parker just took to the pony--and how he knew to kick his heels to try to get the pony to go faster! It seems just like yesterday to me that I took David there! :-0 It was very touching to see him putting his own son in the saddle! We'll have to do it again real soon! Hopefully we can still do our Descanso Gardens trip before February is over . . . but Descanso in March is beautiful too! I can't wait until Addison gets to ride the ponies!

    ReplyDelete